GCSE Business at KS4 is extremely popular with an average of 90 students opting for it each year. The OCR course is taken by students and is assessed through two exams at the end of Year 11.
The OCR course aims to:
- encourage candidates to be inspired, moved and changed by studying a broad, coherent, satisfying and worthwhile course of study
- allow candidates to gain an insight into related sectors such as economics and accounting
- prepare candidates to make informed decisions about further learning opportunities and career choices
- appreciate the range of perspectives of different stakeholders in relation to business and economic activities.
- engage actively in the study of business in order to develop as effective and independent learners and as critical and reflective thinkers with enquiring minds
- use an enquiring, critical approach to distinguish facts and opinions, to build arguments and make informed judgements
- develop and apply their knowledge, understanding and skills to contemporary issues in a range of local, national and global contexts
- consider the extent to which business and economic activity can be ethical and sustainable
- appreciate diversity and recognise similarities and differences of attitudes and cultures in society
We are surrounded by business and commerce; from small local firms to national and multinational operations. The UK was once the world’s manufacturer, today it is our service sector that is growing, whilst production is shifting to countries like India and China. GCSE Business helps students understand how businesses are set up and how they operate and make decisions, as well as providing an insight into a range of business problems. To be successful on this course, students must be interested in business issues, be prepared to use thinking skills to solve problems and be able to analyse and evaluate different business strategies.
There are several topics of study:
- Recruitment & Training
- Business Organisation
- Government & Business
- Production Methods
Students are assessed through 2 written examinations, both 1 hour 45 minutes each and worth 90 marks
- Paper 1: Influences of operations and HRM on business activity (worth 50% of the GCSE)
- Paper 2: Influences of marketing and finance on business activity (worth 50% of the GCSE)