Key Stage 4 Textiles

Students who choose to take GCSE Textiles study the AQA specification. This consists of a design portfolio, worth 60% of the total marks and a single tier written exam making up the remaining 40%. At the start of the course students will be taught a range of practical skills to develop the knowledge they gained during KS3. This will be supplemented by theory throughout the course to prepare them for the written exam. During the course students will select a design brief, carry out research, produce design ideas, make models and a full size, finished product. The coursework portfolio documents the work they have carried out to produce their product.

AQA: Course Code 4570 Design and Technology: Textiles Technology

http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcses/dandt/new/textiles_overview.php

Written paper - 2 hours

Controlled Assessment

40% of total marks

60% of total marks

Section A: 30 marks

A single design-and-make activity selected from a choice of set tasks, consisting of the development of a made outcome and a concise design folder and/or appropriate ICT evidence. These tasks are reviewed every two years. The design folder should consist of approximately:

  • 20 pages of A3 paper
  • equivalent A4 paper
  • or the ICT equivalent

It is expected that students should spend approximately 45 hours on this activity. As part of the evidence submitted, students should include photographs of the finished products as well as photographs at various stages of the process.

A design question based on context supplied before the exam

Section B: 90 marks

Covers all aspects of the specification content

 

Year 10

Autumn term

First half-term

Practical tasks including construction and decorative techniques, drawing/presentation techniques

 

Second half-term

Product design and make task

Spring term

First half-term

Controlled assessment, criteria one. Theory work

 

Second half-term

Controlled assessment, criteria two. Theory work

Summer term

First half- term

Controlled assessment, criteria two. Theory work

 

Second half-term

Controlled assessment, criteria three. Theory work

Year 11

Autumn term

First half-term

Controlled assessment, criteria three. Theory work

 

Second half-term

Controlled assessment, criteria three. Theory work

Spring term

First half-term

Controlled assessment, criteria four. Theory work

 

Second half-term

Controlled assessment, criteria five. Theory work

Summer term

First half-term

Revision

 

Second half-term

Exam

For more information please speak to Mrs L Hayward, Lead Teacher on Textiles
 textiles bag